When To See A Podiatrist

People call a regulated foot specialist for help diagnosing and treating a wide array of foot and ankle problems. Please see a licensed chiropodist or podiatrist if you experience one of the following:

  • Persistent pain in your feet or ankles.
  • Changes in the nails or skin on your foot.
  • Severe cracking, scaling, or peeling on the heel or foot.
  • Blisters on your feet.
  • There are signs of bacterial infection, including:
    - Increased pain, swelling, redness, tenderness, or heat.
    - Red streaks extending from the affected area.
    - Discharge or pus from an area on the foot.
  • Foot or ankle symptoms that do not improve after two weeks of treatment with a nonprescription product.
  • Spreading of an infection from one area of the foot to another, such as under the nail bed, skin under the nail, the nail itself, or the surrounding skin.
  • Thickening toenails that cause discomfort.
  • Heel pain accompanied by a fever, redness (sometimes warmth), or numbness; tingling in the heel; persistent heel pain without putting any weight or pressure on your heel; or pain that is not alleviated by ice or over-the-counter painkillers (such as aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen).

Contact A Podiatrist

Current practicing PEI Podiatry Association members

Johnson Family Podiatry

142 Longworth Avenue
Charlottetown PE – C1A 5B3
Tel: (506) 569 8647

Summerside Medical Centre
475 Granville St North
Summerside PE C1N 3N9